Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default APC Smart UPS shows overload with no load attached

"w9gb" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I deal with a Smart UPS 1000 that shows overload after self
test when no load is attached? The inverter sounds quite a bit louder
than usual.

This unit worked fine for a long time until it was unplugged for
precisely 2 weeks and moved...

Typical failures of APC UPS -- in order of frequency
(based upon an APC refurbishment operation):

1. Battery
2. Charger circuit for battery
3. Inverter circuit from battery to outlets

gb

I'm very interested in this. Are you directly involved with this
refurbishment operation, to the point of knowing these units well ? I have a
Smart-UPS 700. It seems to indicate that it thinks all is well when it is
just idling, single computer on the end, one load light showing, centre
"doing nothing" status light showing, but a few months ago, we had some
power outages in the village where I live, and it failed to hold the power
up, causing the computer attached to it to immediately reset.

At this point, the battery level indicator had dropped to one light, and the
red battery warning light was flashing, even though prior to the event, it
had been showing full. I replaced the batteries anyway with a similar size
and rating, and thought that all was well then, but it's not. When the unit
does it's periodic self-check, it does a similar thing, and beeps furiously,
although it continues to supply power. If you leave it long enough, it seems
to recover from this, but the battery level LEDs are again then indicating a
low and defective battery for a couple of hours. A few of days ago, we again
had some brief power outages, and again, it failed.

I'm not going to spend too much time on it without schematics, and to be
honest, I have so much other repair work in at the moment that I would
struggle to find the time, but if these symptoms ring any bells as to
specifics for this make and model, I would be very interested to know.
Thanks

Arfa