Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Gary is offline

Default How deep to bury posts for fence?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 19, 4:34 pm, "Sacramento Dave" wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I am going to try to put up some wood fences 6' tall located in south
Florida.

I talked to one contractor and they told me they will need to dig the
post
24" deep and pour concrete. Some told me 48" deep. Some said 24" deep
at
intermediate posts but 48" deep at corners or gate posts. Any idea
what
is a good depth?

I am now thinking I will do it myself.

The posts will be spaced 4' apart. The post will be dug XXX inches
deep
and with concrete. Now regarding the standard dog eared pressure
trested
privacy wood fence panels, they come in 6'x8' so they will have to be
nailed onto three posts. The panels have three horizontal pieces of
wood.
If I nail them right onto the posts, the panel will "stick out" by the
width of the wood member. Should I notch the post a little so the
horizontal member would be mounted flushed?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Good rule of thump 1/3 the height. 6' = 2" deep. Another thing to do if
you
are going to poor concrete around the post put about 6" of gravel around
the
post otherwise your just making a bucket to hold water around the
post.Even
a couple shovel loads of dirt is better than just concrete. Don't think
PT
is not going to rot . Another option witch would be even better is metal
post I have even seen them with brackets welded to them to hold your 2X4
runners.

Metal posts? Can you elaborate? Do yo umean the metal posts used by
chain linked fences?

Thanks,

MC
You can build your own board by board with out seeing the posts on either
side. I put mine 8 foot apart 24 in ground 1 bag of cement for every post
dog eared pickets are about one dollar at HD nail the 3 pt 2x4 between
the 4x4 posts horizontally one at 3ft from ground one 6 inches from the top
and one 6 inches from the bottom I like the shadow box style I use a
standard 4 foot aluminum level for a spacer between pickets.