Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Unused Chest Freezer

wrote in message
oups.com...
I currently have a new chest freezer that I am not currently using.
It has never been plugged in nor is anything stored in it.

Do I need to take any special care with it? Someone is telling me
that the air will go stagnant and later when filled with food could
ruin anything that is placed in it.

I am very sceptical...any thoughts or advice?

Dealing with Mother-In-Law

If it has never been used, I wouldn't worry about it. IIRC, what stinks in
depowered fridges and freezers is the residue of food and and ice that
inevitably gets into the nooks and crannies, and the mold and bacteria that
feed on that. The smell in new ones is the outgassing from the plastics and
the mold release, from when the parts were shaped.

How long do you anticipate storing the thing? If we are talking years, not
months, I'd sell or donate the thing.

aem sends...