Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Flame-resistant protective mat for plumhing?

On 14 Feb, 22:10, Huge wrote:

BTW, Nomex and Kevlar are very closely related.

I've never really understood the distinction. Chemically they're quite
similar, yet mechanically they're significantly different. Kevlar has
bulk strength that Nomex doesn't (this is fairly obvious from the
simple behaviour of the fibres), yet only Nomex is available as fine-
weave fabrics where Kevlar isn't. Why is this? Why don't we have
fine-weave Kevlars, and use them for everything?

My Kevlar underwear is scratchy as hell, I can tell you!
(US Navy aviator issue, genuine usenet-rated flameproof longjohns.
Never enter talk.origins without them)