Posted to alt.home.repair
Jethro Jethro is offline

Default HEATILATOR GNDC36 Fireplace - Need Help

I have a HEATILATOR GNDC36 Fireplace running on propane.
I will try to describe it.
It has a vertical stack to the roof ending with a terminator cap.
It is a direct vent model, using room air, and has a standing pilot
ignition. The gas control has the usual thermocouple and thermopile
arrangement. The direct venting consists of a built-in fan that draws
room air at the bottom, blowing the air upward behind the heating
chamber and back out the top into the room, thus giving warm air.
It has a plate glass removable front that pretty well seals the
heating chamber from the room in the front at least. There are 2
separate wall controls to turn off/on the fireplace burner and the
fireplace blower fan.

It is seven years old, and worked fine when I last used it two years
ago. The current cold snap has caused me to want to use it again.
I can't get it work right.

What happens is this. I ignite the pilot manually the usual way
(turning the knob to pilot and while holding the knob in, pressing the
igniter button which clicks a spark). I then turn the know to burner
position, and turn the burner wall switch ON. After a slight delay
the main burner comes on and will stay on. Now the bad part. If I
close the front plate glass, the burner will not stay on - going out
and taking the pilot with it. If I don't put the glass on, the burner
will stay on, presumably forever. The blower fan seems to work fine
off the wall switch - so I don't think that is a factor.

It is almost as if, the burner goes out from lack of air. So that
raises a question. If I can't get any help as to what is wrong with
my fireplace, I at least would like to understand where the air comes
from to support the burner flames? I simply do not see any
passageway(s). I have read and printed every web documentation on
this fireplace, and no mention is made of where that air would come
from.

Thinking that is my problem, I am looking to find out why air is not
getting to my burners.

Anyone?

Thanks

Jethro