mikee

Default Ultra High Speed Metalworking

You need to read the text again, Jim. The torpedo didn't hit the hull, but
exploded below it. Maximizes blast effect, apparently. WWII stuff was only direct
contact.
See: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../wep-torp.html

Mike Eberlein

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Dan Caster says...

As I remember the record for sinking a destroyer ( not destoyer escort
) in WWII was something like 10 seconds. A Japanese torpedo hit the
destroyer between the forward engine room and the aft boiler room, and
the whole ship was underwater in the ten seconds.

Actually I was going to say, those photos did look impressive,
but then I suspect that the same scenario played out about
a thousand or so times during ww2. Bang, blub.

Jim

please reply to: