Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Collapsed Sewer Lines

If the line is still passing a little water try my favorite root
killer, its cheap, non hazardous and highly effective. my line is
terracota with a joint every 3 feet, every joint but one had tree
roots in it.

Ever notice how rocksalt kills grass around sidewalks?

Dump a 25 pound bag in a wash tub mix hot water to help it dissolve
and try and get most of it down line, then go out for day so the salt
stays in contact with the roots kiiling them

been doing this for 10 years now with no problems, just repeat 3 to 4
times a year, to keep the roots from regrowing.

you can use rock or softener salt, it can do no harm and may just save
you the cost of a new line

my 80 foot line estimate was about 8 grand I can buy salt forever to
save that much $

the water in your line may be a sagged or low spot, not necessarily
collapse.

they can also clean and install a vinyl liner and avoid nearly all the
digging, pricey but saves execavating.

but please try the salt and let us know what happens