Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Collapsed Sewer Lines

wrote:
I need help here guys and gals...

I've had at least 3 plumbers and the Water Works to make an "eyeball"
diagnosis that my sewer line has collapsed or has tree roots going
into it which is causing sewage overflow in the bottom level bathroom
of my split level home. My house is situated on a hill which makes
the sewer line approximately 78 ft. to the road and approximately 8 ft
deep at the drain by the road. A couple of plumbers have told me that
all the pipes in my neighborhood are made of the paper/tar pipes and
eventually collapse and are prone to root growth.

For the history:
http://www.sewerhistory.org/grfx/com...pipe-orng1.htm

One town's story:
http://www.whotv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2599369

Have neighbors had this work done? Get recommendations?

The price you were given for replacement doesn't sound bad,
but of course you'll want to get a few more quotes *in writing*.
The bid should stipulate that the contractor is licensed and that
he will be responsible for getting permits, etc.

What about damages the excavating causes? Spell that out.
How long will you be without any sewer?? Spell that out.

Often, the house water line was placed in the same trench
with the sewer. Spell out who will pay for a new water line
if damaged or if the line is found to be defective in some way.
How long could you be without water? And would the same
contractor handle replacement or would you be at the mercy
of someone else in what would be an emergency?

Get proof of contractor liability and workers comp coverage.

There are many surprises that contractors can have in store for
the unwary.
Can the sewer be simply "re-lined"? Ask around, but collapsed
Orangeburg may not support re-lining and could be just as
expensive.

Jim