Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default How to Bind Broken Eyeglass Metal Frames?

"Eigenvector" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
Rocinante wrote in
:

The nose bridge in my frames broke. I tried silver solder to
reconnect the broken ends, but the solder would not stick to the
metal; it would just roll off. Any suggestions? (yah, I suppose I
could tape them and look like a typical nerd : )

Thanks,

it's pot metal,zinc-based. there are solders made for pot metal.

Nerds today use epoxy. ;-)

You're assuming his glasses are pot metal. Glass frames are made of
lots of metals, mine are Ti ear stems with steel frames. My other
pair were Ti pure, the ones before that were steel.

do you think most glass frames are Ti? I don't.
Unless they were bought knowing they were Ti,they probably are not.
I suspect Ti frames carry a premium price,and one is well aware that they
are paying for Ti.They might even be imprinted with that info.
(mine don't;just make,model and color)

At least steel can be determined with a magnet.

since he *already tried silver solder*,he might as well try solders made
for zinc alloys,can't do any more harm,as it's too late to have a pro try
to repair them even if they are Ti.I doubt any pro would want to make
repairs on a workpiece already screwed up by the owner's repair attempt.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik