Posted to alt.electronics,sci.electronics.equipment
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Running an empty microwave oven

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:03:42 -0000, PeterD wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:56:34 -0000, "Peter Hucker"
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:02:05 -0000, Alison "invalid" wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote in message newsp.tme3s0ec4buhsv@fx62...

I have purchased a new microwave which has an easier to grab control. I'm
concerned one of my pet parrots will switch it on! (Seriously, they do
stuff like that)

Parrots. Cool :-)

13 of them. Messy. Noisy. But fun.

Leave a cup of water in it. Or something like those heat up aromatherapy
bags, the ones that have lots of little cherry stones in it.

That would only delay the problem. And I'd never remember to put a glass of water in after each time I use it.

I want to know what happens if it is switched on empty. The instructions just say it will damage it. That doesn't bother me too much, it was a very cheap one. As long as it doesn't explode or catch fire when I'm out of the house.

Look, the only safe thing is to unplug it. Even a glass of water won't
provide protection if they turn it on for 20 minutes! Use a short,
heavy duty (12 awg) extension cord, or some other similar device.

Nowhere is safe to plug it in without them chewing the plug. The plug has to be out of sight, which means I can't get to it to turn it off.

Either that, or make up a metal shield to cover the controls...

I bit of a hassle, and I'm useless at that kind of thing. And too lazy to do so unless I'm sure it would explode. Maybe I should buy another one and try it in the garden....

Condoms aren't completely safe. A friend of mine was wearing one and got hit by a bus.