Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Lining a Speaker Cabinet

# Fred # wrote:
For a solid engineering reference:
http://www.colloms.com/pages/works.aspx

Electroacoustics was my favourite subject, btw.

I never understood why electrostatics cost so much - [snip]

Electroacoustics is a subject that deals with the conversion of
electrical energy to acoustic energy via a transducer, or backwards (as
in microphone)

Electrostatics on the other hand, are a form of transducers which do
not operate on an electromagnetic motor, but operate on a totally
different principle.
The $10K headphones (I'm assuming you're talking about Stax
Earspeakers?) are simply the most incredible experience for $10K you
can have...with a few caveats like you need to sit on a subwoofer for
the tactility of the bass, and the recording should be made with the
Sennheiser Kunstkopf microphone method.
I have a Stax tone-arm which has never been equalled in any way, shape
or form. That used to be one crazy little company.

Full-range electrostatic loudspeakers have a myriad of problems in
terms of physics limitations as well as reliability issues when pushed
to sound pressures we expect from today's dynamic range-heavy sound
sources. Many need to be sub-woofed, which totally screws any ideas of
a single sound source.

If all you listen to is harpsichord or cello, a pair of Quad ESL63's
will make you weep. (with the right amps, in the right room, yadda,
yadda....)