Posted to rec.woodworking
Wes Stewart Wes Stewart is offline

Default Lining a Speaker Cabinet

JGS wrote:
We are building an entertainment unit for a client. He designed it himself
and did a nice job. He wanted the boxes that hold the speakers to be lined
with MDF.
Now that we have built the unit we have found that here is room at the top,
bottom and back of boxes (cabinets) for 3/4" MDF but because of the size of
the speakers there is only room for 1/8" (if it's even available) for the
sides.
Is 1/8" MDF going to make a difference? Is there another material to use?
Or the broader question, is MDF required / desirable at all.
Thanks, JG

Speaker enclosures are usually designed from the inside out rather than
the converse. MDF is used for its density (damping ability) and
rigidity, properties that keep the box from vibrating along with the
driver (speaker). The box is also usually air tight unless there is a
port that is tuned as part of the design.

At this point I would question the lining of the sides with only 1/8"
MDF unless it is securely glued to the existing sides, which are
hopefully already pretty substantial.

As an alternative I would suggest a sheet damping material similar to
this:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=268-035

Good luck.

Wes Stewart