Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Chris is offline

Default Icicles on attic vent

wrote:

Which makes it even less likely that the vent was put there for attic
ventilation. Â* The siding with the tiny holes on the soffit is
continous soffit venting. Â* Normally, that is all that is used to
provide the soffit venting. Â* It makes no sense to then just add this
one 4" additional vent.

Yeah, since it's below the floor of the attic, I can't really know for sure.
But, I think you are right, it must be a vent for something, I just don't
know what.

If that is the case, then the icicles are fine because that means that it is
venting moist air from inside the house and doesn't mean there is moisture
in the attic?

What is typically connected to a 4" vent? I thought the black, vertical pipe
(like the kind the trap for a sink is made of) in the attic was the vent
for the bathroom fan, but I think that may be the vent for the plumbing? I
think drains need a vent to properly drain right??

Thanks for helping me,

Chris