Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tbasc@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Icicles on attic vent

Chris wrote:
Hello,

I have an exterior attic vent under the over hang of my roof. The vent is 4"
(I think) in diameter. The vent is one of those air-intake vents with rain
guards.

For the last few days it's been below freezing. On those cold days, icicles
appear on the rain guards. The house has an air exchanger (non-heat
recovery) which has been running on those cold days. The house seems to
retain a lot of moisture as the windows tend to either have condensation or
ice at the bottom when it's really cold outside. Also, the house is heated
with electric baseboard heaters.

Before I climb into the attic, I was just wondering if the icicles on the
exterior attic vent is normal? I'm a first time home buyer and I do not
know much about attic ventilation. My concern is that there may be moisture
build up in the attic.

Thanks,

Chris

Sounds like some of the humidity in the house is passing out of the
vent and freezing.
The whole moisture level in the house sounds like it needs to be
studied.
TB