Posted to rec.woodworking
Stoutman Stoutman is offline

Default Should I use mineral spirits after sanding between polyurethane coats

The first application of polyurethane finally dried on my red oak
baseboard. I sanded the baseboard and used a tacky cloth to remove the
dust. Should I wipe down the baseboard with a rag dipped in mineral
spirits before I apply the next coat of polyurethane?

Sure. There is nothing wrong with doing this. As long as you wait long
enough for the poly to cure sufficiently (varies by temperature/humidity).

If you were able to sand successfully, than your poly was cured
sufficiently. There is no danger in wiping sufficiently cured poly with
mineral spirits. I have done this NUMEROUS times.

After all, most people use mineral spirits as a solvent to dilute
polyurethane. How could this same solvent be counter indicated for wiping
cured poly?

Go right ahead!

Stoutman,
www.garagewoodworks.com