Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Fireplace question/smoke smell in basement

wrote:
We have a home that has a gas firplace in the basement and a wood
burning fireplace on the upper floor. When we start a fire in the
upper fp we smell smoke downstairs. There's no damper on the gas one
downstairs. The gas one has a pipe that goes up the brick work to the
outside. We noticed this smell got worse after we installed a chimney
cap for the wood fp. So does some of the smoke go down the pipe of
our basement gas fp? If that's the case what can we do to prevent
this?

Thanks
JaKe
Seattle

I would suggest a damper for the gas fireplace. It should have one.

I would also suggest that a good chimney sweep take a look at the
situation. This could be a safety issue. There are many possible problems
and only an on site inspection by an experienced professional can really
tell what is going on.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit