Don Wilkins

Default Electrolytic rust removal question

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:29:42 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

,;"Orrin Iseminger" wrote in message
,; On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:55:08 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
,; wrote:
,;
,;
,; First, I'm curious about what the toxic waste issue would be with
,;stainless.
,; Do you have a link or a reference?
,;
,; Snip
,;
,; Ed Huntress
,;
,; I don't have a reference, but I have about eight years of almost
,; continuous experience using electrolysis.
,;
,; I was told that stainless steel wouldn't degrade when used as a waste
,; electrode when doing electrolytic derusting. So, I used a thin sheet
,; of SS scrap.
,;
,; It took a while, but the sheet stainless eventually looked like a lace
,; curtain. Worse, my solution turned yellow: hexavalent chromium.
,;
,;That's interesting. Did you use one of the standard, weak alkaline
,;solutions?

Ed

If you throw the kind of voltages that are used in this process at an
anode something is going to give. You can't pass a current from an
electrode into a solution without a chemical reaction. At the anode it
is either an oxidation of something in solution or an oxidation of the
anode. You must have one or the other to pass a current. If the
current is so high that there is nothing available from the solution
to oxidize then the anode is going to go.
,;
,;Ed Huntress
,;