Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Sideboard Strategies?

There was an article (have a copy, thanks) many years ago in FWW, by the
subject name, whereby the author, a teacher at a respected woodworking
school in Boston, taught/proposed a four part, casework construction method
that was a bit unusual for traditional sideboard construction - basically a
dovetailed box, turned on its side, with legs attached (although, sans legs,
not unusual in many *cabinet* casework methods).

Having sought out, seen, and paid particular attention to the construction
used in many old and antique sideboards these past few years, and having
consistently noted problems that seem to be commonly shared among even the
best made of the bunch(cracks/racking/sagging, etc.), there are many things
I like about the author's ideas: wood's dimensional instability is pretty
well nullified as an issue, many fewer joints needed, pretty much sag proof,
etc.; and a few things I don't know whether I would like, or at least be
able to overcome and not nullify the benefits of using the method: in
particular, and despite the author's claim to the contrary, it appears
difficult to imitate with this method the "panel and rail" sides that are a
traditional design element of the type of sideboard I'm interested in
designing/building.

Sort of a shot in the dark ... but I'm wondering if any of the more advanced
wooddorkers here have any personal experience using this particular
strategy/method and what they did, if anything, to overcome what appear to
be the inherent limitations in design choices, such as the above mentioned?

Thanks in advance ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/06/07