Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony B. Tony B. is offline

Default Flickering/dimming lights

Ralph Mowery wrote:
An 1100 wattt device is not really small. While it may be drawing an
average of 9 amps, it may really be drawing a peak of much more as it cycles
. When a device turns on it will cause a small voltage drop and when it
turns off, the voltage goes back up. Most devices in the house are turned
on and not back off for a while. That is probably why you don't notice it
that much. It only takes a small voltage reduction to make a noticable
change in the light output.

I am thinking you are probably right... I would never have even
noticed this voltage drop/light dimming if not for the pulsating nature
of the appliance. It went for a few days with out me noticing
actually.. I only noticed one morning when I happed to be looking at
the bathroom light half asleep and thought it was just because I woke
up... then put two and two together and linked it to the espresso
machine.

Are you thinking this is pretty much normal and nothing to be concerned
about? Any idea how this may affect other more sensitive devices like
televeisons or movie projectors? I'm not too concerned about it for
short term usage, but I sometimes like to let the applicance idle for a
few hours, and am wondering if the pulsating for longer periods would
affect other devices in the house.

I don't even notice the dimming on the lights in the living areas or
kitchen unless I'm trying to because it's that subtle.. just the
bedrooms and bathrooms since they are furthest from the electrical
panel, and even those are so minor to bother me unless I'm paying
attention to it.

Tony B