Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default plywood, weight capacity

wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

"AKA gray asphalt" wrote

How can I figure the amount of weight a piece of plywood, probably 3/4 or
1" ... how much weight it would hold? It would be 24" x 60" and supported
on both 24" sides and one of the 60" sides? The weight would be evenly
distributed but there wouldn't be any support in the center except along
that one side...

The Sagulator, shows that a 1400 pounds would result in a deflection
of 0.1 inch.

That's what it says for a 24" wide and 60" deep 3/4" shelf...

But a 60" wide x 24" shelf would initially sag 3.89" with a 1400 lb load.

Nick

Yeah I used the wrong dimensions, however your
numbers are with both long sides unsupported. The
sagulator doesn't calculate with one long edge
supported. If you support one long edge, sag will
be reduced a lot. Elsewhere I suggest that the
shelf would likely support 300 pounds ok. ,
Deflection would likely be less than 1/4" at the
center of the unsupported edge, but certainly no
more than 1/2 inch.