Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich Rich is offline

Default plywood, weight capacity

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Don Young wrote:
"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
news
How can I figure the amount of weight a piece of plywood, probably
3/4 or 1" ... how much weight it would hold? It would be 24" x 60"
and supported on both 24" sides and one of the 60" sides? The
weight would be evenly distributed but there wouldn't be any
support in the center except along that one side. I could use
butcher board or block, whatever it is. Thanks ...

Over time it will sag noticeably of its own weight. You need more
support for a shelf or platform that size.

Don Young

You must be using plywood made from cardboard.
3/4" plywood on 24" studs (essentially what the op
is doing) is never going to sag by itself.

The Sagulator, shows that a 1400 pounds would
result in a deflection of 0.1 inch. a sag of 0.1"
wouldn't be a problem even if visual was important.

I don't think your reading the OP's specs. It is 24X60 shelf supported on
both ends and along one of the 60" sides leaving one of the 60" sides
unsupported it will deflect and sag under it's own weight with that
configuration over time. Time to recalculate with the "sagulator".

Rich