Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default plywood, weight capacity

Don Young wrote:
"AKA gray asphalt" wrote in message
news
How can I figure the amount of weight a piece of plywood, probably 3/4 or
1" ... how much weight it would hold? It would be 24" x 60" and supported
on both 24" sides and one of the 60" sides? The weight would be evenly
distributed but there wouldn't be any support in the center except along
that one side. I could use butcher board or block, whatever it is.
Thanks ...

Over time it will sag noticeably of its own weight. You need more support
for a shelf or platform that size.

Don Young

You must be using plywood made from cardboard.
3/4" plywood on 24" studs (essentially what the op
is doing) is never going to sag by itself.

The Sagulator, shows that a 1400 pounds would
result in a deflection of 0.1 inch. a sag of 0.1"
wouldn't be a problem even if visual was important.