Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default 275 gallon oil tank - how long should it be between fill-ups?

I tried to replace the tank gauge. I think this tank is about 50 years
old and the gauge started to fall apart when I tried to twist it. It
also looks like there is some kind of grey sealant that has welded
itself to the threads over the years. There are no other available
holes on the top of the tank. There is one where the oil comes in and
another where it goes out. The tank was inspected when I bought the
house and was declared in good shape. As far as buying oil is concerned
I was offered a plan in the fall but the prices were too high back then
- about $2.70 per gallon so I have been buying the oil from a
wholesaler for $1.99 but he doesn't do schedules and you have to call
him to fill up. I'm just wondering if every two months is about
standard. The last thing I want to do is run out and have my pipes
freeze.