Posted to alt.home.repair
JLagg JLagg is offline

Default Adding a basement to an existing house?

BobK207 wrote:
JLagg wrote:
Just curious as to the probability of adding a basement to an existing
house. It was built in 55 and is a ranch style single story 3 bedroom
1000 sq. It has a 3 ft crawl space all the way around. I have a drywell
and well also, no city pumbing at all. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Yes it is totally doable.

When I was a kid in the early 60's a neighbor nearly finished one but
he died of a heart attack just before completely the dig.

The guy who bought the house from his widow got a nearly completed
excavation, he finsihed the project & had one of the very few basements
in the area

SoCal is not noted for full size basements even in the 60s......maybe
the random ultilty vault but once slab constr took hold as rare as
bsements were they became extinct.

My dad & I toyed with the idea (60's bomb shelter) but never executed

A buddy's uncle dug a bsaement; buckets & a pickup truck....... took
him a LONG time

If you're serious you've got think it through.....you can easily
undermine your foundation. You've got to support the dirt supporting
the foundation or dig far enough away.

I've thought about it for my house but I've got post & pier
construction; the project is daunting.

cheers
Bob

Thanks for the input folks. I live in Michigan around Battle creek.
There are a few places around me that have basements even walkout
basements. A neighbor actually got under his house and pulled out the
dirt with a 5 gal bucket! took a while for that one. Also would it be
better to use the cinder blocks or actually using forms or is there
really a choice.