Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Stripped hex screw head

Ken wrote:
Remi wrote:
I need to remove a hex screw, but the head is stripped. Any ideas? Thanks.

Lots of ways depending on the situation.

If the head protrudes, grab it with vise grips and twist it out.

agree.

If the head does not protrude, cut a slot with a dremel and than back
it out with a screwdriver.

that'll work too, although an intermediate step would be trying to
drive in a Torx bit or maybe a cheesehead or "triple square" bit (that
you don't care if you destroy.)

Another method is to drill a pilot hole in the center and then get it
out with a screw extractor. Google on "easy out".

I've never had any luck with those.

They also make a tool that basically combines the drilling and the
extracting in one step, but the name of that tool escapes me at the
moment. Used a lot for getting out old locks that have those one-way
screws holding them to the door.

left-handed drill bit? Such a thing does exist, usually packaged in a
kit with EZ-outs.

If this is a large fastener, like the alternator on a car or something,
then there is another tool for this purpose like the set at Sears:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

never tried that one.

Another option would be to MIG weld a nut to the head of the screw and
use a wrench or socket to remove it.

good luck,

nate