Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Stripped hex screw head

Remi wrote:
I need to remove a hex screw, but the head is stripped. Any ideas? Thanks.

Lots of ways depending on the situation.

If the head protrudes, grab it with vise grips and twist it out.

If the head does not protrude, cut a slot with a dremel and than back
it out with a screwdriver.

Another method is to drill a pilot hole in the center and then get it
out with a screw extractor. Google on "easy out".

They also make a tool that basically combines the drilling and the
extracting in one step, but the name of that tool escapes me at the
moment. Used a lot for getting out old locks that have those one-way
screws holding them to the door.

If this is a large fastener, like the alternator on a car or something,
then there is another tool for this purpose like the set at Sears:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...TOOL&ihtoken=1

Ken