Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Richard is offline

Default Building or repairing a fence within a hedge

Tim Lamb wrote:

Could you not prune to just above the height of any replacement fence
with a bit spare for working room.

That was/is my idea. Installing tall posts was a way of future proofing.
Any serious trimming needs to be done
over the next few weeks.

Just how hard can I prune the hedge. the side to be trimmed is south
facing.

Post holes are likely to be tricky: roots and hard dry soil. Fencing
contractors use a motorised auger which might be available from the hire
shops. I use a tractor mounted borer and clean out with a *shoveholer*
sort of double shovel.

regards

Sorry for tardy reply - New Year away intervened.

Richard