Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] adrian@cam.cornell.edu is offline

Default New chisels! Storage case ideas?

As I noted below, I tried two chisel rolls. With one, the chisels fell
out onto the floor (literally). With the second, flaps prevented the
chisels from falling out, but some of the chisels would fall out of
their pockets and wander around inside the roll. The solution is not
obvious to me, but I suspect that making pockets of different depths
might work. However, then the chisel roll is custom sewed to my
current chisels and can't be easily adapted to future acquisitions.

Is there some way around this problem?

sweet sawdust wrote:
Find some one who sews and have them make you a chisel roll.
wrote in message

I tried these two rolls I have on hand (one is from Lee Valley, the
other is from Tools For Working Wood), and neither seemed entirely
satisfactory for my motley collection of chisels. It doesn't work to
put the handles in first, and when I put them in blade first the
chisels tend to fall out. At least with the Tools for Working Wood
roll the chisels don't fall out on the floor, but they rattle around
inside the tool roll, especially the little one.

It seems like a tool roll is really best suited to a collection of
tools that are all the same length or have identical handles (that fit
snugly). I could probably make this work by sufficient care on a
custom design (e.g. with pockets designed to fit each specific chisel I
have), but I'm not sure about extensibility.