Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black Michael Black is offline

Default Household recycling

KLS ) writes:
On 31 Dec 2006 17:16:31 -0800, "James" wrote:

I'm at a point where I recycle storage space by throwing out junk that
I should have thrown out years ago. All the things I saved never got
matched to anything I needed. Easier to toss out garbage and just buy
something if the need arises.

Your points are all well taken, but instead of throwing the stuff in
the weekly garbage, offer it up on your local list on Freecycle.org,
and you'd be amazed at who'll take the stuff and make good use of it,
warming the cockles of your heart and keeping crap out of the
landfill. I'm a hard-core Freecycler now (I've freecycled sand and
camping fuel!).

It amazes me at how impotent so many people feel.

"freecycle" doesn't do a thing for you. There was never a time when
you couldn't give things to neighbors, family or friends, or to the
Salvation Army or similar groups, or to local churches or community groups.
All those groups would turn around and sell the stuff to raise funds for
their projects, and find homes for the stuff.

Or, you could place a classified ad in the paper, or in more recent times
post to your local buy and sell newsgroup. Or put it on your front
lawn with a sign that says "free, take it".

But no, instead, people always want to talk about "freecycle" as if
some bozo invented the notion of giving away stuff a few years back.
They can't conceive of doing it without "freecycle".

Michael