Posted to misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected] websurf1@cox.net is offline

Default Household recycling

Chris wrote:
I just saw an article in our local paper about reusing common household
items. Most of the suggestions were a little silly, but I thought it was a
good attempt at encouraging people to give thought to what their "trash"
might be good for. My tip for the day is for cyclists to use their old,
flatted tubes. Instead of throwing mine away, I keep them in a bin in the
closet and use them for multiple tasks. We used two to tie the Christmas
tree to the top of our factory roof rack in December, and I used them a cut
up one as a rubber cushioned door stop in the laundry room. Any other cool
tips?

CHRIS

Wev'e purchased a few platic tupperware-type containers for large food
items. But so much food comes in re-useable plastic containers that we
don't have to buy any small containers. We just wash and re-use the
ones that are original packaging. When they finally get messed up,
they go in the recycle bin.

I buy those big muffins at Sam's for morning break at work, and they
fit snugly into margarine tubs. More than once, someone at work has
asked me how long it took to find a tub/muffin matched set!

Plastic milk jugs become bird-seed scoops, temporary planters, paint
mixers, watering cans,.....

I have several boxes in my garage for metal recycling--aluminum,
aluminum cans, copper, lead (I pick up those lead tire weights that are
in the parking lots.) ferous metals. When it's worth it, I take the
load to a metal recycle center.

I have a 4-gallon bucket that I run the water into while I am waiting
for it to get hot. I dump this onto plants rather than run it down the
drain.

Locally, computer parts can be taken to any number of places for
college students to use, give to agencies, or recycle.

I've got lots of copper wire, but I'm looking for an efficient way to
strip the insulation.