Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Short Circuit - Caused by nail

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Bob wrote:

snipped

I'm going to call an
electrician, but wanted some insights as to what he can do to fix the
problem and how big a job will it be? Does he have to tear down all
the drywall, etc?? What would be a reasonable quote?

Any input appreciated.

How the heck could you possibly expect to get a usefull answer to a
question posed that way, Bob? You haven't given us a clue about your
"house". How many floors? Finished basement? Where in the house was that
nail driving exercise located?

Based on your description, my "estimate" for a reasonable quote would be,
"More than $50 and less than $20,000."

Now, f you are really convinced the problem was caused by bad luck when
nailing into a wall, then I'd suggest you just carve away the drywall
around the nail holes, making say a 3" diameter hole you can shine a light
into and see if there really IS a wire there. Holes like that are quite
easy to patch, and as you were going to hang pictures there anyway you
could probably put off painting until the next time the whole room needs
painting.

If you DO find a damaged wire there, then call in an electrician if you
can't handle the repair yourself. I'm no code mavin, but it might be
possible to make a legal splice of a damaged wire without having to pull a
whole new length by installing a box in the wall with a cover on it, and
that box could be hidden behind a picture.

If you used a big box you could probably make it work, but it wouldn't meet
code.