Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default New Studio Phrases - back on topic

Back to the proliferation of Studio Woodworking
Terms and Phrases - ie woodworking ArtSpeak
- I'm in a quandry.

There's plenty of How To information about almost
any aspect of woodworking - "How I did this joint,
or this edge treatment, or this texture, or this
finish.". Finding information about The Why is
more difficult. "Why this edge treatment, joint,
texture, finish - instead of that ________?".
I've found that Krenov's books answer many of
those types of questions - more his philosophy/
approach to woodworking.

But the new Woodworking ArtSpeak is more about
What I Want The Piece To Say or What I Want People
To Feel or Think When Viewing/Interacting With My
Piece.

This seems to be more the realm of Art Critics
and Art Historians who, though not "atists", attempt
to explain What The Artist Meant and What The
Artist Was Trying (and pehaps even succeeding)
to Convey. These folks use words like "juxtaposition",
"visual elements", "linearity / curvilinear", "mass",
"balance", "contrasting" as well as "evocative",
"provocative", "disturbing" and so on.

My question is
Should the questions
What Is It?