Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b charlie b is offline

Default New Studio Phrases - side note on FOX

Mark & Juanita wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:18:49 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

When I hear FOX news misuse words, abuse words
and use terms and phrases that make you go "HUH!??"
it comes as no surprise.

Well, the post was funny up to here. Can you give any real examples
where Fox is saying things that don't make sense;

FOX
Fair and Balanced

Whole new meaning for the word "fair".
Whole new meaning for the word "balanced".

If you have to keep reminding people that you're
"fair" and "balanced" there's a good chance that
you have to keep saying that to get people to
believe things you're saying that dont' seem to
be either fair, or balanced.

If you've watched Hannity & Combs - even once
you recognize the "are you still beating your wife?"
style of "discussions".

If you've watched the O'Riely (sp?) Factor or
even read the liner on his latest book - I think
its title is Freedom Warrior, you have to get
out the dictionary and check that the definition
of the words haven't, in fact, changed since
last you looked. Hadn't had to do that since Lyndon
Johnson declared War On Poverty and Nixon
declared War On Drugs.

BTW - the definitions
war n.
1. an armed conflicy between nations or states
2. any conflict or struggle; hostiliy
3. the science of military operations
warfare n.
1. the waging of war
2. struggle; strife
warrior n.
a person engaged in, or experienced in, warfare

Now if you go with the second defintion of the first
two words, then technically, Mr. O'Riely (sp?) has
the right to call himself a "warrior" though I'd use
Martin Luther King as a better example.

But if you want an example of the FIRST definition
of the word warrior -I'd have to go with Major
General George Lafayette Mabry Jr., the second
most highly decorated soldier in US history, and
the kindest man you'd ever meet. The evening
of the day he got his first star, his daughter was
kidding him - "Daddy, I bet you even put a star on
your pajamas!" Her brother ran upstairs and came
back with a pajama top - with a star on each shoulder.
This man was truly an American warrior - in the
best meaning of the term.

And if you want to know how he earned the Congressional
Medal of Honor go here
http://www.medalofhonor.com/GeorgeMabry.htm

Relatively speaking, O'Riely is hardly what I would
call a warrior.

Now when a prominent public figure - ok - it was
Bill Clinton, said "I did not have sex with that woman"
it was in fact a lie and called a lie. However, when
Ronald Reagan (pronounced Ray Gun) said "I did not
trade arms (to Iran) for hostages (US hostages held
by Iran - 'til the moment Mr. Reagan took the presi-
dential oath of office) - he got away with later saying
- that he mispoke. We all know that mispeaking
is not the same telling a lie - right?

But back on topic. I expect "spin" from some parts
of The Media, most elected officials and all car ads.
I'm concerned that it's now spilled over into woodworking.

The presence of abscence? That puts my teeth on edge!

Run Alice! Run!!!!!!

charlie b