Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Studio Phrases

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 01:18:49 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

If you listen to NPR, or get Scientific America, or are breathing
-you've heard of Black Matter. And you've heard the Art Speak
phrase Negative Space (to describe a hole in some Positive Space).

Well here are some more - this time from the back cover of the
February 2007 (aren't we still in 206?) isssue of Woodwork
magazine. Here are some of the new Art Speak phrases
contained in William Hunter's description of his piece, titled
"Creation"
- deconstruction (the piece blew up on the lathe)
- reconstruction (I stuck the pieces back together)
- wood/space relationship (I didn't fit things together well)
(this next one's my new all time favorite)
- the presence of abscence (you'll notice the absence
of the pieces I couldn't find)
- complexity of visual references (you may get a
headache trying to figure out what I was trying
to turn when things went all to hell)

Yep, those are pretty hilarious. I think the phrase is "cognitive
dissonance".

When I hear FOX news misuse words, abuse words
and use terms and phrases that make you go "HUH!??"
it comes as no surprise.

Well, the post was funny up to here. Can you give any real examples
where Fox is saying things that don't make sense; or is it maybe they
just don't agree with your ideas. As I've mentioned before, it seems that
those who criticize Fox most heavily don't actually *listen* to or watch
Fox, they are only going by what they have heard others say about Fox. Fox
News web page gets the same slanted newsfeeds from AP and Reuters as all
the other news services. During the election cycle, they were almost as
much in the tank for the Dems as the rest of the media. Calling them
"conservative" is pretty much laughable. The only thing that qualifies
them for that title is the fact that they have real conservatives as
commentators rather than token conservatives to serve as convenient foils
for their liberal commentators like the rest of the media. Even in that
case, at least you know that they are editorializing when they are speaking
compared to the tripe output by the NYT, Time, CNN, etc where they mask
editorials as "news" stories

AP would have been a much better example. Reports from Gaza, for example
where they say Despite the violence, both sides said they would honor the
cease-fi "the wave of violence appeared to be cooling after Sunday
night's truce announcement. But one Fatah supporter was killed and five
people wounded in fighting in the northern town of Jebaliya, and a
16-year-old bystander was shot in the neck during a gunbattle in Gaza
City". In Gaza that's a truce, in Iraq, it's a civil war:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_on_re_mi_ea/palestinians_politics

Or the case of the Iraqi police spokesman (Jamil Hussein), so often
quoted by AP, but who seems to be unknown to the Iraqi government or
coalition forces:
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=23740

Or Time, changing their description of Ahmadinijad:
http://www.bizzyblog.com/2006/12/18/description-of-one-of-times-person-of-the-year-candidates-changes/

.. or the reports of the "bombed out amulances", etc. etc.

Maybe it's just that my 2006 Bull**** Tank is
full and My Cup Runneth Over.

Yours isn't the only one

charlie b