Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Osprey Osprey is offline

Default Cutting skirting board for laminate flooring

Roger Mills wrote:
DavidM wrote:

My son has just moved into his first (1930s) house and
wants to lay laminate flooring in some rooms. He doesn't
want to use a bead around the edge, prefering to lay the
laminate under the skirting. Rather than try and remove
the skirting (and probably wreck most of it in the process)
he's wondering if there's some sort of power saw that
can be used to just cut 10-15mm of the bottom

Bite the bullet - remove the skirting and chuck it ... then fit new
skirting, if you choose something deeper it will make for easier
fitting - spanning the wall skim joint if there is one.

You might find it worthwhile to refit with good thick beads of mastik
adhesive .. I used Pink Grip on my skirtings - seems to have much
better first 'grab' than Gripfill, and is much stronger than the diy
stuff ... no-more nails etc.
But make sure you get rid of all loose dust - and wipe back of boards
with meths first to remove any resin.
Pack underneath to hol it up ... and then screw, nail or pin to hold
until glue sets.