gradstdnt

Default Potential Relay for phase converter

I am working on building a 7.5 hp rotary converter. I plan on using a
start circuit with start cap that drops out after a potential relay
senses enough voltage in the generated leg. Grainger has a listing of
potential relays but I really don't like dealing with them as I am not
a business and their past stock levels leave much to be desired. I
preferr McMaster Carr for service and ease of ordering. Strangely
enough, McMaster has zero listings for "potential relay" but has
plenty of double throw relays.

It appears to me, a double throw relay, one that can be wired either
normally off or normall on, should be able to work just fine as long
as the voltages for the relay cutout are appropriate. Is a potential
relay simply a "normally on" relay with a certain or adjustable cutoff
voltage?

I've got most all the hardware to start putting together this
converter except for the start cap and relay. I know what I need for
a start cap. Any help on specs for a relay that will do the job is
greatly appreciated.

Here is a shot of my 3 hp converter I built over three years ago. I
outgrew it and thus a 7.5 hp unit. Will be up for sale as soon as I
get my 7.5 hp unit together.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...otary_conv.jpg