Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Hartigan Mike Hartigan is offline

Default Garage Door Opener: Chain vs. Belt?

In article ,
says...
Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door opener?
I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better?
Thanks!

Intuitively, a chain will last longer than a belt. My chain unit is
16 years old and has never been serviced. My son's belt unit is 1
1/2 years old and also has never been serviced. Obviously, this
tells you nothing WRT relative durability. I'll let you know when
his fails.

WRT noise, however, the difference is dramatic. The belt is MUCH
quieter.