Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian Brian is offline

Default How to disconnect gas range from gas supply

wrote:
HI,

My Kitchenaid gas stove/oven is having a problem working as a oven. It
has electric igniters for the oven, one at the bottom for the main oven
and one near the top for the broiler mode. When I put it in bake mode,
the lower burners inside the oven are not lighting up. Broil is ok. The
stoves are ok. I supect the igniter has burnt out and got a replacement
on-line. The problem is how do I get access to the back of the stove to
replace it?

I tried to move the stove. But it is connected to the gas supply line
using a short flex pipe. I can not get enough space at the back to get
in or work. Is it tricky to remove the felx tube from the stove and
reattach it later. I can see it at the bottom of the stove when I take
out the lower storage drawer. It is at the back of the unit. How do I
shut of the gas supply? I need a long handled tool to access the supply
valve at the back. It is at floor level.

I am fairly handy. Recently I have changed the water inlet valve of the
diswahser and had installed a water filter under a sink before :-) I
have found that water pipes are tricky, specially those with
compression fittings. How tricky are the gas lines? Commen sense tells
me they are far more dangerous!

Thanks for all your advice.

-Dipu

I suggest calling the gas company to turn off your gas for you instead
of doing it yourself.