Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moisture absorbing calcium chloride crystals

D.M. Procida wrote:

I have a little plastic thing from Woolworths into which I pour calcium
chloride crystals, to act as a moisture absorber in an under-stairs
cupboard which is damper than it ought to be.

What I'm left with after some time is a liquid and a solid mass.

If I pour off the liquid, and leave the solid mass in a warm dry place,
say on top of a radiator, will it be any good at absorbing moisture from
the air once again?

Are there like to be any nasty substances released into the air as it
dries?

Why am I left with a solid and a liquid, not just some dissolved calcium
chloride?

Thanks,

Daniele

These things are truly crap. If you redry them in the house all the
water vapour absorbed is dumped back into the air again.

If you keep using it, buying bagged lime from B&Q may prove cheaper.
But just as poor a performer. Fwiw quicklime would be more effective,
though less safe.

NT