Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Moisture absorbing calcium chloride crystals

D.M. Procida wrote:
I have a little plastic thing from Woolworths into which I pour calcium
chloride crystals, to act as a moisture absorber in an under-stairs
cupboard which is damper than it ought to be.

What I'm left with after some time is a liquid and a solid mass.

If I pour off the liquid, and leave the solid mass in a warm dry place,
say on top of a radiator, will it be any good at absorbing moisture from
the air once again?

Are there like to be any nasty substances released into the air as it
dries?

Why am I left with a solid and a liquid, not just some dissolved calcium
chloride?

I suspect it's not pure CaCl.

Anyway.
Mere radiator won't cut it.
Take it all out, and place in a flat baking tray or something, and place
covered in an oven at 150C till dry.
Then break up and put the