Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter Peter is offline

Default P Trap into wall extension - How to remove - exposed bathroom sink

Should I not worry about cutting back the extension and just use
a chisel or punch to break it free from the pipe...(without hammering
on the pipe).

At least one thing works in my favor... the wall connection is
directly accessible..

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete

Since you can't budge it, it may be soldered into a brass
ferrule or trap adapter.

I would just saw the chrome piece off *outside* the wall
and use a "repair trap" or a 1 1/4" slip coupling.

I can't see from here what it looks like, but you can get
in trouble fixing whatever is in the wall.

Jim

Thanks Jim... I got it out.

I used some auto gasket remover (spray) to loosen up
the plumbers putty, followed by a good dose of PB Blaster
(nice stuff to keep handy).

One problem was the pipe wrench (with good teeth)
couldn't grab the surface to apply sufficient force
to turn it. Figured I would destory the extension anyway
so went for the curved end and got it to budge. The
rest was easy. Punched the tube in with a chisel and
twisted right out. Cleaned pipe and inserted the new
one. Didn't bother using plumbers putty this time as the
fit was pretty tight. I can apply it later if necessary.

The replacement extension and pipe was so darn THIN
it flexed when twisting it back into the pipe. Plus the original
p-trap had a cleanout plug. The replacement didn't... both
came from home depot who no longer carries the cleanout
plug replacement. bummer.

Jim... thanks for your help... I'll keep the information
handy as there will be other traps to replace.

Peter