Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow Mike Marlow is offline

Default Polyurethane Orange Peel? Puddling?

"cm" wrote in message
We use water based finishes almost exclusively in our shop. So this is

based
on my experience and what I see in your pictures.

I think you are getting an oil/water reaction to oil left in the wood. You
are going to have to completely remove the new finish. Then finish sand

and
apply a coat of shellac. You can then proceed with your water based

finish.
The shellac should be a good buffer between the two. Try a test piece

first
to see if shellac and your water based are compatible.

If his oil based finish (original), as we are guessing it to possibly be, is
older than a few weeks to a couple of months old, then there should be no
reaction between oil and water base. Actually, it should be reaction free
in less time than that, but I'm taking the tail between the legs, utlra
conservative approach to this. Once the finish is cured, there is no oil
left to react with a water based finish.

--

-Mike-