Posted to rec.woodworking
TC TC is offline

Default Polyurethane Orange Peel? Puddling?

Nova wrote:

TC wrote:
I have a coffee table I sanded to bare wood. I applied water-based
poly with a brush. I get these puddles or orange peel looking
"things" (see links. I figure it might be the brush so I switch to
a foam brush - same result (yes, I sanded first).

Curious though, the sides are nice and smooth as I expected.

I diluted the poly about 10%. Am I putting it on too thick? What's
happening? The wood was smooth before applying. The poly is new. How
can I salvage what I have done?

http://home.cfl.rr.com/jmartin104/table.jpg
http://home.cfl.rr.com/jmartin104/table2.jpg

Was, by chance, the original finish an oil finish (non-film)?

Honestly, I don't know. But I sanded to bare wood. Would it make a
difference (if I sanded to bare wood and the old finish was oil)?