Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Battery charger shorts out?

In article ,
"redwood" writes:

Thanks for the quick replies. I have now taken the back off and yes it
does look very basic inside. I can see the rectifier which has 4
connectors and a hole in the middle screwed into a thin sheet of metal
(or is that a heatshield). It has writing on the rectifier which says;

S4VB
10 (Hole) 84

I'm guessing that the 10 refers to 10amp (84 could be the year?). I've
looked at the Maplin code for AR84F and that is 25A. Would it cause any
problems using a higher amp or is it best to keep with a 10A? Cheers.

S4VB is a 4A bridge rectifier, and the 10 means 100V working.

A 10A or higher (50V or higher) bridge rectifier will be fine.
(A 4A bridge rectifier was obviously inadiquate.)
I would also get some heat sink compound to smear between the
new rectifier and the heatsink.

--
Andrew Gabriel