Posted to alt.home.repair
kevin kevin is offline

Default framing a 45 degree pantry wall... suggestions... ?

Well, you should of course do whatever is easiest and looks reasonably
good and won't cause trouble down the road with other things.

But really, the walls should all just be standard thickness. Instead of
ending one 2x4 plate with and angle and butting it up against another
2x4 plate with a square cut, you are supposed to cut *both* plates,
like this (which might rival your drawing for lameness):

_____
/\
___/ \
\ \
\ \

Or like this,
_____
\
______\
\ \
\ \

maurice wrote:
Hi, all.

I'm adding a pantry to an existing kitchen, so I'm framing some
non-structural partition walls, and then drywalling them. Essentially,
I'll end up with a neo-angle pantry, and I'd like the door in the
angled wall.

When I got around to framing it in, I ran into a problem. I'm using
2x4s for the walls, but when I go to install the angled wall, the
angled cuts in my 2x4 plate end up being wider than the other two
walls.

To hang drywall, do I just build up those two walls (the difference is
about 1 1/4") with plywood, or is there a simple solution that I'm
missing?

Funny, I've never encountered this before. I've attached about the
worst drawing ever produced in a newsgroup.

(inside pantry) I
/
/
/
/ (door will go here, but this angled wall
is thicker where it meets the other wall)
/

Thanks.