Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default White Matt Emulsion instead of Undercoat?

ste-m wrote:

Hi there,

I've been filling and sanding an already painted plastered wall (in
the living room) and will be repainting it soon. My question is, do
I need to use undercoat for the best results before painting with my
final colour (cream matt emulsion), or can I make do with using some
white matt emulsion as an undercoat (as I've got a few tins of this
in the house already).
I'm just wondering what the difference would be - I don't mind buying
undercoat, but if there's no difference, then I'd rather use up what
I've already got.

Thanks,

Ste

Undercoat is more suitable for surfaces such as wood which are going to be
gloss painted. I wouldn't use it under emulsion on a plastered surface but
would simply use more than coat of emulsion if needed. White emulsion under
cream will be fine.
--
Cheers,
Roger