Posted to alt.home.repair
propman propman is offline

Default Compressor reed valves

"Pop`" wrote in
news:UIjbh.13321$J5.399@trnddc04:

propman wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

propman wrote:
More on the continuing saga of the inherited compressor........

Finally managed to track down an exploded view of the compressor
and found out that I am missing a couple of reed valves........now
I know I can buy them, but am wondering if I can just make a
couple.

From what I understand they usually are comprised of spring steel,
so todays questions a

Typical steel gauge?
Are they a flat unit or do they have curvature to their shape?

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated....thanks. :-)

Just use some feeler gage pieces out of a feeler gage set. The type
that you check points on car or lawn mower of the early days of
point and condenser ign systems.. I have done this before and it
works perfect.

Cool....will have to remember this tip. I finally decided to go
ahead and cut some out of galvanised sheet steel I kicking around
here.....worked like a charm. I think though to be on the safe side
I will still order the manufacturers replacement parts.

Thanks for the tip....much appreciated! :-)

CAREFUL! Galv steel will not wear well and may actually delaminate
during that kind of use. It may well also break prematurely after a
few hours of use. The debris could wreak havoc on the piston rings
and even the bypass, etc..
I'd use it only for emergency until the right parts are available.
The
hardness of spring steel is required for those reeds.

Pop`

Thanks, Pop.....that confirms what I already suspected. I inherited
this compressor in bits and even though it was only manufactured last
year it looks as if it's gone through some rough times. Primary
function of making the homemade reed valves was to see if the tank came
up to and held pressure.....it did and so I am ordering the correct
replacement valves (at least I tried to but Sears parts department
couldn't find the unit on their computers and so I am waiting to hear
back from them.).

Cheers, Pop......much appreciated! :-)