Posted to alt.home.repair
The Streets The Streets is offline

Default Why must ground & neutral be seperate in subpanel?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I installed a subpanel when I switched from an electric stove to gas. I
used the 40A 220V breaker that formerly served the stove to power the
sub panel. The cable is #4 with two conductors and a ground. I have 6-
15 amp breakers in the panel providing branch circuits for my kitchen
and other areas of my house. The grounds and neutrals all share the
common bus bar in the sub panel. Everything has worked fine for years
now. Can someone explain why I read that ground and neutral are to be
isolated in the sub panel? Please don't answer because of the NEC since
that does not explain why. What is the risk of my current situation?

Thanks,
Joe

So, what is the proper way to connect a 220v sub-panel that has a single
bus bar for neutral and ground to a main panel with the neutral bar bonded
to the ground bar?