Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Outlet wiring, does color matter?

On 20 Nov 2006 09:15:50 -0800, "
wrote:

When wiring up normal 3-prong outlets, does it matter if I switch the
black and white wires on a single outlet in the run?

Yes. Correct it.

I've heard the polarity doesn't matter...but want to make sure I'm not
going to short it out or something else horrible.

It's not polarity (this is AC, where polarity is changing 120 times a
second), but connecting it right still matters.

Also, when wiring up lights, does it matter which color wire I run to
the switch? Most of the how-to articles show cutting the white
wire...does it make any difference?

I guess I missed those articles. I always switched the hot (black)
wire, the obvious way to do it.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligable. Early
in life I absented myself from Christian assemblies."
-- Benjamin Franklin