Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Outlet wiring, does color matter?

In article . com, " wrote:
When wiring up normal 3-prong outlets, does it matter if I switch the
black and white wires on a single outlet in the run?

Yes, it does. Don't do it.

I've heard the polarity doesn't matter...but want to make sure I'm not
going to short it out or something else horrible.

You didn't hear that from anyone who knows what he's talking about. Polarity
*does* matter. Among other things, you could wind up making the housing of
whatever you plug in there, live.

Also, when wiring up lights, does it matter which color wire I run to
the switch?

Yes.

Most of the how-to articles show cutting the white
wire...does it make any difference?

No, they don't. You'd better look again. The switch should always go on the
hot side, which (in the US and Canada, anyway) is the black wire.

--
Regards,